Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Happy 95th birthday, Michael Foot!


Former Labour Party leader Michael Foot celebrates his 95th birthday today. Michael is the longest lived leader of a British political party in history- and on top of that he's also the oldest currently registered football player in Britain (playing on the left-wing of course!)

You can read my piece on what might have happened had Michael Foot's Labour Party won the 1983 election here; while here is a link to my Guardian article of twelve months ago, arguing that 'golden oldies' like Michael are pensioned off far too early nowadays.

The case for gerontocracy is, I believe, a strong one, though I'm willing to make an exception as far as this man is concerned!

2 comments:

Exile said...

Hey, Neil, some Trot that I had never heard of is giving it lip - thinks that Laughland is a rightist and that you are "deranged". Ever heard of the little maggot? Full gen top of the board at my place.

Oh, congratulations to M. Foot.

Andrew K said...

Michael Foot was and remains vain and stupid.

Incidentally, may I correct an earlier comment I made about Seumas Milne? I think I described him as an overprivileged tw@. That should of course have read overprivileged Wykehamist tw@.