Donate


Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Jon Pertwee: from secret agent to Dr Who




This piece of mine appears in the Daily Express.

HE  was, for many fans, the greatest Doctor Who of them all. The actor Jon Pertwee, who played the intrepid Time Lord from 1970 to 1974, is fondly remembered for the flamboyance and enthusiasm he gave to the role as well as for his sartorial elegance.

Yet what was not known until now is that Pertwee, famous for  fighting against the Daleks on TV, was a secret agent during the Second World War. 

You can read the whole of the article here.

4 comments:

David said...

The much more interesting stuff in terms of it being previously unknown, is going to be in the second part of our interview with Jon in next month's Doctor Who Magazine. Whilst I think we got a lot of good war-based stories out of him, none of it was that new. The influence of Haile Selassie on Doctor Who is bit more of a scoop.

Neil Clark said...

Hi David,
I'm really intrigued about the influence of Haile Selassie on Doctor Who! Can't wait for part two in next month's magazine. Congrats on a fantastic interview.

Martin Meenagh said...

Jon Pertwee--in the Target books, and BBC repeats--was always my Doctor. Thanks for the great article, drawing my attention to another!

I may even go and buy Doctor Who Magazine again for the first time in years (I get my news from the Planet Gallifrey website I'm afraid).

Very best to you and yours Neil

Neil Clark said...

Cheers Martin & same to you. JP was always my Doctor too: he was brilliant in the role.